My out-of-pocket fee is $150 per session. Sessions are between 45 and 55 minutes. I accept cash, checks, and credit/debit/HSA cards and expect payment at the time of your appointment. I use IVY Pay, a contactless, HIPAA-secure credit card processor.
I do not provide in-network services for health insurance companies. I’ll provide receipts of payment for my services so that you can submit claims to your insurance company for available out-of-network reimbursement or to have proof of payment if you use an HSA to pay for therapy.
If you plan to pay for therapy yourself and not use any out-of-network benefits, you have the right to a Good Faith Estimate outlining the estimated costs of therapy in a calendar year.
I suggest you contact your insurance company to confirm out-of-network benefits and do the following:
Plan for adequate time to speak with your insurance company.
Be sure to have your insurance card, along with the name, date of birth, address, phone number, and possibly social security number of the cardholder or person who is starting psychotherapy.
- Questions to ask:
- Do I have a mental or behavioral health policy with out-of-network benefits?
- What are the requirements to use out-of-network benefits?
- Is prior authorization required?
- Is a referral required from my primary care physician?
- Do I have an out-of-network deductible?
- If yes:
- What is my out-of-network deductible?
- How much of my out-of-network deductible has been met?
- What is the start date of the calendar year my out-of-network policy?
- In addition, ask the representative if your policy covers CPT codes 90791 (Intake), 90837 (53-60 minute sessions), my usual length of therapy), and 90834 (31-50 minute sessions). How much is the insurance company’s “usual and customary fee” and what percentage do they cover?
- If yes:
If you want to know more about why therapists go out-of-network and to learn more, please read this article.
Once our first appointment is scheduled I’ll email you forms to complete and sign. I use Simple Practice as my electronic health record; it’s HIPAA-secure and makes intake paperless. You will return the forms to me through the Simple Practice portal.
Keeping your appointments is an important part of therapy. If you miss your scheduled appointment or don’t provide 48 hours’ notice to cancel, you agree to pay your full session fee. Exceptions are considered for genuine emergencies, severe illness, or weather.